Wednesday, April 25, 2018
Preparing Digital Artwork
Adobe Illustrator 8.0 for Macintosh
PLEASE NOTE: When creating graphics in illustration programs such as Adobe Illustrator with the intention of outputting to an imagesetter or platesetter, it is extremely important that the person creating the illustration have a thorough understanding of the details of imaging in a prepress environment. There are an abundance of complex problems that can occur at output if paths are set up improperly, colors are indicated incorrectly, or other elements are constructed improperly. Trapping issues can also present problems if not addressed. The more complicated your illustration becomes, the greater the probability of problems at output, and therefore the need for more expertise and experience in creating the files.
Saving and Exporting Graphics
1. Place any graphics you need to import. Before placing images in Illustrator, the images should be checked for the following:
Go to the Place... menu (File->Place...) and navigate to the TIFF or EPS file that you wish to place. Use the following options for placing your TIFF or EPS files.
2. Do all editing and assembly.
3. Create Outlines (Convert text to paths). This eliminates the requirement of sending CPC fonts. Start by selecting everything in the document (Edit->Select All). It is important to select everything in the document before creating outlines. There may be text out of plain sight in the document. Next create outlines (Type->Create Outlines). There isn't a quality loss when converting text to outlines.
4. Cleanup the Illustration. After creating your figure, stray font instances, paths and other unwanted information may be present, but not visible. To remove these unwanted items: from the menu bar select (Object->Path->Cleanup ...)
Press OK. This will aid in easier processing of your files.
6. Select the options shown below. In the EPS Format box, set the Compatibility to 8.0 and the Preview to 8-bit Macintosh. Under Options mark Include Placed Files (if available*), Include Document Thumbnails, Include Document Fonts and CMYK PostScript. Under PostScript select Level 2.
* You will only have the option to Include Placed Files if the following are true, A, you have placed images in your document; B, you have placed images and chose to link them instead of embedding them. Please embedded your images in your Illustrator files.
Checking Document Info
1. In Illustrator choose (File->Document Info). Next choose Objects under the Info drop down menu as shown. Also check info for the Linked Images and Embedded Images sections to ensure that RGB type images are not listed.
2. Your documents object info should read similar to the box below. You should focus on the RGB Objects and make sure Illustrator lists RGB Objects: NONE.
All trademarks mentioned here belong to their respective owners.
|Get Technical Support by e-mail!
© Copyright 2018 Cenveo Publisher Services. All Rights Reserved.